Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Zion Day 1

Every Memorial Day weekend we try and get up to Zion. Sometimes having a baby weeks close to that weekend has stopped us, but this year we went up there just as our family. Our first day was Friday and we decided to do the traditional shuttle hike to the beginning of the narrows. Equipped with their squirt guns and their camel packs the girls hiked the whole time with us. I love how tough my girls are. I want them to love to be girly, but be able to be rough and tough like any boy. The highlights of this hike was seeing the deer crossing the path and seeing all the karens in the trees and sand at the end of the trail.
After we finished that trail we decided to walk along the water instead of taking the shuttle all the way back. It was a nice relaxing hike, with many stops to refill water guys. I highly suggest this on a hot day, not only will your kids keep you cool, but it keeps them entertained and moving.
The best thing that day was finding a hidden waterfall. We had never heard of it before and it was nice quiet spot and beautiful. (It's very rare to get a quiet moment at a waterfall in this area of the park!) We found out from a local that it was called Menu Falls. I guess they don't tell you about, because if you find it, they think you deserve to enjoy it's simple quiet beauty.


We continued our hike that morning/afternoon along the river and the girls enjoyed playing in the calmer areas of the water. I enjoyed sitting, watching, and taking pictures.

We finished this day with one last hike. One of my favorites the Watchmen. I didn't even go the whole way though, because I wasn't feeling very well this day. I was sad, but thought it was best to turn around and get off my feet. We were joined however by Dave's sister and most of her family. It was so fun having them there. We did dutch oven dinner that night with them and just enjoyed camping. It was a wonderful first day in Zion.

No comments: